Rooh Afza is the most popular traditional drink in Pakistan. Rooh Afza is a red-colored syrup that is used to make drinks. This syrup is a delicious combination of various herbs, natural extracts of flowers, vegetables, sugar, and fruits. With its vibrant color, when served chilled, this drink has a refreshing and cooling effect on the body.
It is the most-known drink among the masses of Pakistan. Depending upon the taste of a person, the serving varies. It can be served as sherbet or can be mixed with mint and lemon. It can also be mixed in milk for the enhancement of taste.
Origin of Roof Afza
Rooh Afza, one of India’s oldest brands, has been around for over a century. The narrative begins in 1906, when Hakim Hamid Abdul Majeed, an Unani medical practitioner, opened a modest shop in Old Delhi called “Hamdard.” In 1910, Rooh Afza was created for the first time in this establishment.
It was a concentrated drink created from fruits, herbs, and rose that was intended to be used as a cooling drink during the hot summer months. It was given the name Rooh Afza by Hamid, which means “Soul Refresher” in Arabic.
Recipe of Rooh Afza
This is the easiest drink to make as it requires only syrup of Roh Afza and water. By mixing both well, the drink is ready to be served.
Usage of Rooh Afza
- Lemon is sometimes added to the drink of Roh Afza for the elevation of its taste and overall nutritional value of it.
- Most of the time the syrup is added to the milk rather than the sugar which helps to keep the sugar levels low.
- The syrup k also adds to the taste of ice cream as many people use it this way.
- Roh Afza drink can be consumed on an empty stomach as it has no side effects.
Benefits of Rooh Afza
- It is traditionally used because it can be helpful in easing dehydration, improving hemoglobin, and preventing indigestion.
- It also helps in maintaining cardiovascular health.
- The consumption of Roh Afza can help in easing nausea and diarrhea.
- It also helps in combating the numbness of the kidney. It is also effective against the problems like giddiness and stomach cramps.
- Because the syrup of Roh Afza contains extracts from natural coolants like watermelon and coriander, this can also serve as a coolant in summer.